Ge Appliances - Nice look but knobs SUCK!

We bought the new cafe series applicances for our new house.Just after the warranty expires the knobs broke, all of them, they are made of a cheap plastic.

I bought replacements and eventuall they broke, I bought two more and they are better quality but are now made of metal and can get very hot when cooking with the stove (currently waiting on the other plastic ones to break). These new "versions" are also a different diameter and look bad. We thought this series was a very high quality, considering the cost, but next remodel we will consider a different brand appliance. The real issue is that a few times the gas will not turn competely off because off the design on the knob, this has happened twice to us.

Very dangerious design!These knobs are also over $30 each...

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 2 Yes 2 0 No 0
Had the same issue 2 Yes 2
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Feb 24, 2015 #950246 Middleton, Wisconsin

Ditto! The plastic around my knobs has melted!! PLASTIC! On an EXPENSIVE oven! I will not buy another GE either. Did I say PLASTIC!?!? On a RANGE? (sigh)

Jul 21, 2014 #843495 Cle Elum, Washington

Thanks for your post, one of our knobs broke and we are now experiencing the same problem as you and this WAS the only one of the GE Cafe line of appliances that I hadn't had a problem frustrating!!!
I haven't had any luck with GE working to fix any of my issues and haven't tried on this latest one but I am sure they'll be as "un-concerned" as they have been with the other problems. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER GE APPLIANCE, EVER!!!

Feb 01, 2014 #780821 Mount Pleasant, Texas

I did get a response from GE and replied to the email... GE replaced all the knobs with a beter designed part. A little smaller in size but at least the do work as they should. This is the email address that I finally got a reply from.

Oct 02, 2013 #724715 Denver, Colorado

well i wish I could say GE is even a little interested in helping me resolve this safety hazard but I have sent "nikki" , from GE in the post below, an email three times and never received a reply.

And this is a safety hazard, we have a 13 year old learning to cook and just last week I came in the house and smelled gas... I went right to the stove and YEP you guessed it, the knob did not turn completely off. Its a shame I cant allow my 13 young lady to cook because of a defective stove.

Sep 30, 2013 #723642

We've had the exact same problem, except now the new knobs are $64 per knob!!!!!!!!! I'm furious. I don't know if I should replace them or not. It's very dangerous. I'm thinking of suing.

Aug 22, 2013 #704643 Gainesville, Florida

I bought all new ge cafe appliances for our kitchen remodel including the dual fuel range model cgs980sem1ss cheap plastic knobs are all cracked and loose. I looked on line to find replacements but i refuse to pay $60.00 apiece for knobs for a five year old $2500.00 appliance. i will find a generic knob to ensure safety for my family. when guests comment on how ugly the range is with the "generic" knobs i will explain why. will not look good for GE but so be it. at my age probably won't need to worry about replacing the so stuck with the problem.

Aug 20, 2013 #703163 Feasterville Trevose, Pennsylvania

Hi this is Nikki with GE. Sorry you had this issue with the knobs. Please email your information to us at and we will look into this for you. Thanks

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.