Ge Appliances - GE Monagram Refer bad parts WR55X10490

559 of 834 Ge Appliances reviews

Update added by user Oct 05, 2015

Guys when you check this posting, please READ THROUGH ALL COMMENTS, there is a lot of good info.People keep asking me questions that are answered in the posting.

IF you replaced the invertor with GE, there is an additional 5 YEAR WARRANTY on the part. I have replaced 3 of them using this warranty. READ your manual, and check. Sealed System is warranted for 10 years (Compressor, lines, etc).

I have had my entire system replaced because of a leak they couldn't find.

ALSO, there is info about a different control board that increases cooling fan speed and frequency.I haven't tried it but people say it is worth the price, buy it through Amazon.com.

Update added by user Sep 02, 2014

Please contact me directly on my e-mail (that goes for anyone who has this problem), I can help! scwaz(at)msn(dot)com

Original review posted by user Dec 31, 2011

Copy of E-mail I sent GE:

I spent thousands of $$$ on putting all monogram appliances into my re-modeled home, purchased from Spencer's in Phoenix AZ.

The Refrigerator (ZISS480DRISS) broke…of course following the warranty period by a couple months.

The GE Tech replaced the invertor board (WR55X10490), it had gone bad. The Embraco (MFG) part number is VCC3 1156 01 F 04.

This unit mounts directly to the compressor which is a high heat generating component. The invertor also generates a lot of heat due to the nature of the part (high voltage conversion).

The unit he pulled off the refrigerator approximately a year ago was obviously heat damaged and failed. My concern at that time was this would just keep happening if the design was poor and subjected to higher heat than could be dissipated in the refrigerator design. Well, my fears were realized!!

I have another unit which exhibits the exact same heat damage and my refrigerator is down again. (see picture of browning plastic where the heat effect has taken place).

You have a serious design flaw and Vendor part that is sub-standard and I'm assuming which the same has a VERY HIGH FAILURE RATE, and should be considered for Recall.

There has got to be more customers with this same issue, MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD! Let's get GE to stand BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS, not excuses by a Brazillian Company (Embraco) who makes poorly engineered and manufactured components!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Had the same issue 46 Yes 46
559 of 834 Ge Appliances reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Nov 29 #1247417 El Cajon, California, United States

I too just had my invertor board go bad. It looks like it is a heat related problem. The repair tech quickly diagnosed it. He installed a new one for $350. I noticed there may be a class action lawsuit in place for this defect. Check it out here: http://www.girardgibbs.com/general-electric-lawsuit-investigation/

Nov 15 #1241404 Reseda, California, United States

I agree that GE design is bad. It would seem that they could have placed the board away from the high heat generated by the compressor. I have replaced the inverter board 3 times. Very *** design. I'm looking a a Samsung next time!

Oct 17 #1228283 Mccordsville, Indiana, United States

Hi every one with inverters going bad 4 for me I found a inverter with the same specs for 134.00 and relocated it away from the compressor to much heat at factory location

1 0 Reply

Nov 13 #1240242 Reseda, California, United States

I have the same problem, first time I replaced it I paid a sears tech guy to change it. The next three times I did it myself. I did notice right away that the inverter was in the wrong place, next to the compressor. So I detached the inverter from the compressor and moved it as far from it as possible. (Only 4 inches) Bad design by GE. Actually, a *** design!

Pat

Apr 05 #1139669 Melbourne, Florida, United States

I have a GE Monogram ZISS360DRKSS and have just experienced what I am sure is the 4th failure of the inverter - embraco 200D5948P012. I haven't verified it yet but the symptoms are the same as the other 3 times this module failed. It is mounted in a hot spot and was not properly designed to handle the heat. I'm tired of paying for GE's incompetence. What can we do??? My email is preilly003@cfl.rr.com.

1 0 Reply

Feb 27 #1118968

I had exactly the same experience with the vcc3 1156 01 f 04 embraco. I'm going to buy a spare, does anyone know the best vendor?

rejiii

Feb 27 #1118966 Alpharetta, Georgia, United States

Yes, mine failed after about eight years. Scorching on plastic enclosure indicates very hot operation/environment. Not a very good design. How about metal packaging for this environment?

ron

Jan 05 #1089102

the same problem that you guy are having my inverter box 200d5948p008, vcc 1156 01 f 41 they are junk .GE made big mistake with this

turiki

Jan 04 #1088319

i need this part
from hwear can i get?
vcc3 1156 49 f 40
turiki2002@hotmail.com

Dec 22, 2015 #1082487

I have the same problem as you described with my refrigerator. My inverter has the same heat damage as you described. He needs to stand behind their products and fix these problems. I paid a lot of money to have this fridge and its *** if this is going to keep happeneing. Thank you, Brandy

Nov 16, 2015 #1064547

I have the same problem with my GE profile refrigerator. The inverter prt # 200D5948P012 has gone bad. GE has a design flaw and then has the nerve to charge almost $500 for the part only. I am dissappointed and will never buy GE again.

Nov 12, 2015 #1063137

Same thing happened to our refrigerator this week. The Embraco part VCC3 1156 was replaced just over a year ago (of course part had a one year warranty). Same failure issue this time... Checked online for replacement part and was listed for $471. Sounds like this problem will just keep repeating. If this is a supplier issue (Embraco), does anyone know if there is there a better quality, better heat protected part available elsewhere?

Oct 21, 2015 #1051897

Same happened to me this morning (Oct. 21 , 2015) my GE Monogram 42" side by side stopped working. I found the substitute part WR49X10283 locally at an appliance parts shop for $169. In just a few minutes I replaced the part and everything was back to normal. I notices the same brown discoloring on the original part. This was my first time replacing the part and this refrigerator is 8 years old.

Oct 05, 2015 #1043559

SAME PROBLEM WITH THE DEFECTIVE EMBRACO PART. MY FRIDGE ONLY 5 YRS OLD.
HAVE TO RAPLACE THIS PART HOWEVER THE TECHS DOWNHERE IN MEXICO SELL IT FOR A WHOPPING 450 US PLUS LABOR.
QUITE DISAPPOINTED.

mike

Oct 04, 2015 #1043180

I have the GE PFCS1NJWSS fridge and paid well for it .I have had this unit replaced once already and now its down again and lost all food also. I kept the old inverter part no WR55X10490 and it clearly shows the brown burn discoloration on the plastic case,
dead right this should be a recall, as pointed out earlier they mounted this circuit board up against a high heat unit, the compressor which was their mistake. I'm pissed!!!

Oct 04, 2015 #1043032

Yes I agree. Had them com multiple times for same problems. Replacing inverter for second time in two years. Not a cheap part!

Sep 11, 2015 #1032788

I live in Ontario Canada, and have the exact same model of fridge as you. I have had a little more luck in that this unit has lasted us almost 8 years. The same Inverter has failed, and the cost to repair is $1000 Cdn. My jaw dropped when the techy told me the cost to repair was going to be around a thousand dollars. I wasn't out of the woods yet. The compressor has yet to be tested, which was making a clanking noise. It can only be tested once the inverter board is repaired. This other cost would run us up another $900 for the party plus labour, another $350. You make a great point in that the inverter is located right beside the compressor which gets very hot. There definitely needs to be a redesign regarding this; or a model recall at the very least. I have also noticed a slight burn mark (as well as the technician) on the part. I couldn't agree with you more; in that if I get the fridge repaired, the problem would occur again inevitably. My plan is simply to never purchase a major GE product again.

Sep 06, 2015 #1030555

We had the same problem with this exact part. For a year, freezer intermittently rose to 20-30 F and compressor would click on for 10-15 sec every 1-3 (?) hrs or so then eventually (after 12-18 hr) would come on and stay on, refreezing ice into a solid block and refreezing food as well. Mutiple attempts at repair (thermistors, 2 mother boards, +others). Finally, this part replaced and now works fine. Old part showed browning from heat in one area. Fortunately, we had service contract.

1-20 of 67 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.