Ge Appliances - GE Front Load Washer Drum Support Spider Broken

330 of 834 Ge Appliances reviews

We have the expensive GE front load clothes washer WCVH6260 series purchased in November of 2006.It has been annoying from a very young age, smelling like mold and tearing clothes (even after following GE's instructions many times to clean and prevent and always leaving the door open when not in use).

Recently it began making terrible noises during the spin cycle and smelling like burning plastic. The wonderful internet helped me diagnose the problem as the common broken drum support "Spider". I pulled the machine apart and found completely rotted crumbling metal as you can see in the pictures (and a bunch of moldy nasty stuff that you cannot get clean without complete dis-assembly). GE has similar machines of which hundreds of thousands have been recalled but for some reason our model has not.

My contact with GE Consumer Relations was respectable but only ended with me getting a discount on the part. Unfortunately this poorly made "Spider" isn't sold separately so you have to buy the whole basket assembly for close to $500. I am extremely disappointed that GE isn't fixing this for free and with a part that is made to last. What happened to the days of keeping an appliance for 20-30 years?.

I did the math and discovered that if I scrap this machine at this point it will have cost me over a dollar per load of laundry just in depreciation.That's ridiculous!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.

More Review Details

Had the same issue 67 Yes 67
330 of 834 Ge Appliances reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan
James

Nov 18 #1242387

Same here, 10 years only. I talked to sears and home depot sales people and they told me that i was lucky that i was able to get 10 years. Most of all washing machines made today are designed for 3-5 years. Most parts are replaced by low grade metal and plastic, any place they can cut the price they do it even at the cost of quality and safety. As you know Samsung is already paying the price.

Nov 09 #1238642 Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Why is someone not making replacement spiders for these? It doesn't matter who you buy from they all have the same part.

Nov 01 #1234843 Markham, Ontario, Canada

The same thing has just happened to my GE WCVH4800K2WW front load washer. The machine is less than 2 years old!!
This is ridiculous! On top of that, GE does not sell just the drum support spider, as you have to buy the whole drum unit.
I don't know how manufacturers get away from selling disposable appliances for top $$$$!

BigMick

Aug 14 #1198906 Hendersonville, North Carolina, United States

This is not a design flaw. They made the "spider" brace out of uncoated cast aluminum because it is a soft, porous metal, and when subjected to bleach, it turns to chalk. It will last just long enough for most warranty's to run out. That is also why they charge $550 for the replacement wash drum and refuse to sell the spider separately. They don't want it to last and they don't want you to fix it. They want you to have to replace it! It's called planned obsolescence.
If anyone reading this decides to buy the wash drum, when you get it, remove the spider and have it powder coated so that it will last forever!

BigMick

Aug 14 #1198910 Hendersonville, North Carolina, United States

And it isn't just GE... it's ALL front load washers! They all have the cast aluminum "spider" brace! It's the aluminum/bleach reaction that makes them smell like a rotten sock!

Aug 10 #1197175 Bohemia, New York, United States

I have the same issue. My spider broke into three pieces. I realize the machine is 10 years old and things are going to break but I can't see why GE doesn't make the part available separately from the inner tub since so many people have the same problem and no one ever has an issue with the inner tub itself. I was told by a salesman that it was because they want you to buy a new machine so they it make it so expensive that it does not make sense to fix an old machine. My response was "I hope they don't think the next machine I buy will be a G.E."

May 26 #1164837

Same here. Nothing but problems like yours since day one and now it is simply scrap metal. GE just ignored my please since 2009. Will never buy anything GE again. Not the same appliance company it was 50 years ago. It became a finance company and now licenses it's name for appliances made like garbage.

May 11 #1157181

I have a GE Model WCVH6400JOWW front loader and has done the same thing and GE will only offer a high priced drum assembly or 600 for a new washer, they know they have a problem and should offer the replacement spider arm or improve the arm so it doesn't deteriorate, pissed off at the customer service and quality could of have a laundry service do it cheaper than cost to run this unit for couple years.

Mar 05 #1122693

Yep. Same problem. Purchased in 2008 it is just 8 years old a WC H6800J0MS. Started beating itself to death shop said bearing and $700 estimate I tore it apart and found the spider cracked and busted on one leg the center filled with nasty crud. Other than that its been a good washer so if GE *** only lasts 8 years we'll buy something else.

Feb 24 #1116905

Yup...Same thing here in Massachusetts....WCVH6260....Bearing is gone....Spider isn't broke yet....Repairman wanted $1150 to fix it ...Says I need bearings but I need to replace tub & basket as well if I'm to replace bearings...Probably knowing this thing is going to *** out with new bearings.....There should be a class action suit!!!

Nov 23, 2015 #1068481

MY NAME IS JIM AND I ALSO FOUND THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE INFERIOR MATERIALS IN THE SPIDER OF MY GE WASHER.. IF GE DOES NOT MAKE GOOD TO SEND ME A REPLACEMENT "SPIDER". I WILL SCRAP OUT THIS WASHER AND MAKE A ROUTER TABLE BASE OUT OF IT, AND PURCHASE AN LG OR "OTHER BRAND". I WILL NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE TO BUY ANY GE PRODUCT...

7 1 Reply

Jan 28 #1102623

I agree 300%

Nov 17, 2015 #1065327

The same thing happened to us, hate GE washers.

0 1 Reply
Disgruntled Consumer

Nov 02, 2015 #1057227 Dothan, Alabama, United States

Yes. We are having the same problem with ours and while looking for the part ran across your blog. Looks like we are headed to buy another washing machine. But you can take it to the bank that we will never buy another GE appliance. What ever happened to quality control in America.

3 1 Reply

Nov 01, 2015 #1057046

Another victim to GE's pathetic quality here. I purchased a GE washer and dryer set after seeing my parents set last for over 30 years. My washer lasted less than 8 years since the spider just broke and took the plastic housing with it. Its ridiculous that every part on this machine appears to be available separate with the exception of the spider. Its clearly designed to fail. We hated this machine basically its entire life, poor operation and odor even with the door left ajar. Side not a few month ago I replaced our dead GE microwave with the newest version of the same unit. The brand new microwave is about twice as loud ad the 10 year old unit. GE your products are horrible and you've lost yet another customer for life.

Oct 18, 2015 #1050416

I have the same problem, don't know what to do know, can't afford anything.
Thanks GE, I will never buy another GE product.

1-20 of 67 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Ge Appliances. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Ge Appliances.
Filing a new complaint about
×