Resolved

Update by user Dec 18, 2014

It took forever, but I finally got this issue resolved, somewhat to my satisfaction. I had to threaten to go to Marketplace with my consumer complaint, but even that didn't carry much weight.

Eventually I contacted GE directly (I'd been dealing with MABE who handles GE appliances in Canada). If it hadn't been for the gentle intervention of the people at GE, I would probably still be sitting here with a product that I couldn't use. I never did get my double ovens. Instead they exchanged the range for a single oven range, with which I am happy.

However, it still would have been nice to have a double oven range - IF both ovens had worked properly. Thanks to the people at GE for helping with this.

I NEVER want to deal with MABE again. Terrible customer relations and not very good for the PR image of the GE brand.

Original review posted by user Jun 24, 2014

I purchased this model range because I wanted two ovens. Well I got two, but one is completely useless.

The top (smaller) oven burns everything - on both sides and across the back! A service technician told me he'd never seen the problem before and, because the regulator had no adjustment capability, there was nothing he could do. I called again and was contacted by Fran Robillard from the President's Office. She explained to me that the top oven really wasn't designed for use with ...

well, much of anything as far as I can tell. You can't use it for cakes, cookies, bars, pizza, anything "delicate", large pans such as cookie sheets or 9 x 12 cake pans, etc. She told me there was no history of complaints concerning this problem, but as a caveat told me that "most people don't cook very much any more". Other than sharing with me that bit of wisdom, nothing more was forthcoming.

That does NOT solve my problem. I'm still trying to get somebody to return my calls and emails. So far - no satisfaction, or anything vaguely approaching satisfaction, from GE - even though I've only had this appliance for 3 months and it has a 1 year warranty. If you choose to purchase this model - beware.

You may end up spending a whack of change for something that does not work, and - if my experience is any example - you will obviously get no satisfaction from GE if you try to bring the problem to their attention.

Perhaps "going public" will be the catalyst that gets my phone calls and e-mails answered! I can only hope.

Product or Service Mentioned: Ge Appliances Oven.

Comments

Exact same thing happening with our double oven. It has been a year and a half and still no resolution.

Bloomington, Illinois, United States #905914

I've had mine professionally measured. The temperature matches what I set it too, yet my Papa Murphy's pizza tray starts burning a hole through the middle about about 50% of the directed bake time.

Anecdotally, I think the problem has to do with the fact that it's a small oven combined with it being a gas oven. Gas ovens bounce between 25-50 degrees above the set temperature and 25-50 degrees below the set temperature, so the set temperature is basically an average. Because the oven is so small, it comes to temperature really fast and so it ends up getting about 25-50 degrees hotter than you set it too. Combine this with a short cook time for a lot of things like cookies and frozen/take-n-bake pizza, and it ends up being way above temperature for the entire duration of the bake time.

So, if you want to bake something for 30 minutes or longer (which also tend to have lower baking temperatures), it will probably be fine because eventually the temperature will come back down and average out.

I've not had a chance to fully test this, but I want to try and turn the oven on way early (before I need to bake something) and then open the door to simulate putting something in and then let it set for 10-15 minutes. Then put my item in and see if it still has the same problem.