Verified Reviewer

1.3

Update by user Sep 20, 2020

There has not been any resolution to this issue from GE appliances and I doubt there will be. To replace a manufacturer defect with the handle for the microwave will cost me over $140.00 plus having it installed, and I have zero faith it will last, as mine was less than 3 years old and well taken care of.

As I became aware, after I had purchased, that others were complaining about this issue, so I was extremely cautious whenever I had to open the microwave not to put too much pressure on one area. Even with that it still came off! They used plastic pieces inside that are easily broken, which I wasn't aware of until mine came off. Spending over $700.00 for this microwave and having owned several prior to this, that were much less expensive, and not one of those ever had the handle come off.Other companies that sell microwaves have an much cheaper price if they need to replace the handles, as well as, an easy way for the homeowner to do it themselves.

In fact, it seems GE charges the most for any replacement parts of any other manufacturer. It seems they make them to break, in order to keep getting more money from their customers.

I also should add that when I contacted them they were less than helpful and added that I better purchase it NOW, as it may never be back in stock again. That response made my decision NOT to buy and to fix it myself, as best as possible and when it breaks again I will be looking for another brand that doesn't have these problems.As far as the knobs on the cook-top, I replaced them with stainless steel knobs and threw out their plastic junk knobs and for less than they were selling their replacement plastic knobs.

Original review posted by user Aug 20, 2020

Besides their cook top in stainless steel using plastic knobs, the also use plastic on the microwave handles. Spent 700.00 for a stainless steel GE microwave/convection oven and didn't imagine that the handle had plastic holding it onto the door.

Found out yesterday when it came off. Worse just to replace this single handle you are going to be charge over $140.00, plus the cost of a repair person to install it. About half the cost of the entire microwave due to a cheaply made product. I had GE appliances before in White and decided to change to stainless...Huge Mistake!

My old GE were still in working order and most likely were better quality than their newer ones. Also, had a double oven installed which immediately was not working and the installers had to remove and replace.

I had tried to reach someone at their headquarters and had to leave my number for a call back, no problem, as I understand issues now with covid. What I don't understand is the call back and the person saying hello and I was about to give her information, when she HUNG UP on me.

User's recommendation: GE is no longer making quality products.

Product or Service Mentioned: Ge Appliances Microwave.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Ge Appliances Cons: Made cheaply and replacement parts outrageously priced.

Location: Paramus, New Jersey