Ge Appliances - DO NOT BUY THE GE GeoSpring Hybrid Water Heater
Initial review from consumer reports and bleeding edge consumers loved the unit. So I bought one 1-2 years after it's initial announcement. The unit purchased was manufactured on 03/2011. Well, 4 years later, Aug. 2015, the unit started beeping stating that filter had to be cleaned. Well, I pull it out and it's completely clean. Clear the code, next day it happens again. Repeat cycle for a few days... web search and low and behold ... "corrosion on the evaporator coil" from numerous sources. Called GE, they said, oh yeah, "Our bad. Parts warranty for 10 years, labor for 1 year, you're out of labor warranty but in this case, we'll cover it, no charge." Some place out west sends me the wrong part. Another week goes by before the correct part arrives. All the while, at least once per day, I would have to go and reset the dirty filter error. In the end, after 2-3 weeks, it's fixed. Horray.... NOT. It is now October 2016, 1 year 2 months after the repair, and the exact same symptom is occurring. "Dirty Filter" error on a clean filter. Reset. Error. Repeat.
Well, I call GE. They said, "Sorry, since you are out of labor warranty and we already covered the labor on the defective part one time, even if it's the exact same problem. The service call in your area is $99 plus the labor to change the part. The part is still covered under the 10 year warranty." The repair: tech has to suck out the 134-A. Un-solder the part. Solder the new part. Create a vacuum (30 minutes?). Put back in the 134-A. So, low ball at $60 / hour, it is probably going to take at least 2 hours. Total cost at least $220. New conventional water heater? About $300 with new warranty.
There needs to be a recall on these lemons AND a class action law suit. The internet is ABOUNDS with problems with these Geospring Hybrid Water Heater units.
This unit was supposed to save me money by being more efficient, but instead, I spent $1500 on a water heater that only lasted 5 years. And who know HOW long the system was running on degraded mode before error out with the leaked refrigerant. So I may of been using MORE electricity to heat my water than a conventional water heater.
Finally, if this was inside the house with the the refrigerant leaking...I am pretty sure it's not good for your respiratory system!
More Review Details
|Style and Design|
|Ease of Use|
|Value for money|
|Product or Service Quality|
What I liked
- Looks nice
- Service rep was very nice
What I disliked
- Garbage -- lemon
- Lack of customer service
- Solutions to problems
- Warranty on labor
- Badly designed products
- Reason of review:
- Damaged or defective
- Preferred solution:
- A replacement product with the deflects from the original product fixed which they currently have on the market.
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Geospring Hybrid Water Heater
- Ge Appliances Geh50dnsrsa Water Heater
- Review category
- Appliances and Electronics
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
Currently PissedConsumer.com is operating in read-only mode, users cannot make any changes to the information, publish comments or reviews.
You May Also Like
- "Bought a GE Profile Advantium Microwave in July of 07. The model number was SCB2001KKS02. Just over 3 yrs of use and the touchpad has shorted and made the oven..."
- "Our plastic knob cracked and we purchased a replacement knob from GE Parts for $71.50 and when the part arrived it was smaller then the orignal knob and didn't set..."
- "Over the phone I was scheduling a repair and asked to find out what the TOTAL price of repairs would be. I was told the total of parts AND labor..."
- "he was dirty and poor. nibba nibba nibba nibba nibba nibba nibba nibba nibba nibba nibba nibba nibba nibba nibba nibba nibba nibba nibba nibba nibba nibba nibba nibba nibba..."
- "I had the same experience as others: Signed up for a free trial, sent one fax and then noticed my account had been charged a fee for membership the next..."
- "I ordered 3 items. I received the coffe cup fairly quickly, and the dog trainer bracelet approximately a week later. My 3rd item was a pair of black leggings with..."
- "Do not let them do any glass repair work!!! Had cracked windshield that they offered to repair through my insurance. They farmed it out to a low end shop that..."
- "They cancelled our trip because they needed confirmation for our credit card. We sent a confirmation email, but it turns out the didn't receive it so they cancelled the reservation...."
- "Ryan homes and their Tampa area crew did a great job building our new home in Cory Lake Isles. We wanted to write a detailed review of our experience..."