Ge Appliances - Dishwasher caught fire due to GE Service Tech's wiring
GE sent a repairman to my house in late March to repair wires that melted together inside my dishwasher. They melted the wire housing, which the tech removed but didn't replace.
He did not secure the wires in any type of junction box, housing, or bracket. He merely wire capped them, wrapped with electrical tape, and shoved them back under the dishwasher.
As dishwashers run, they vibrate (especially when they are not secured in any manner) and they broke free of the wire caps and sparked on each other and set a visibly noticeable fire under the unit.
I've copied a picture of the condition of the wires (the condition that the original electrician left them in). You can see the sub-par electrical standards as well as the result of the fire.
I contacted GE Consumer relations. They sent out a tech who quickly inspected the unit and said that the dishwasher needed to be rewired. (at my expense) and that there was no fault of the prior GE tech.
They offered to pay $75 of the electrical rewiring fee plus 50% parts and labor on hooking it up. My point is that I shouldn't be responsible for ANY charges when it was their sub-par and neglectful work that caused the issue in the first place.
I was fortunate that my house didn't burn down due to the condition that the wiring was left in.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Wires Repair
- Review category
- Household Services